It Goes beyond doubt that one of the most astonishing gifts of new technology to the modern world has been the emergence of online food delivery services. It wasn’t long ago that online meal ordering was linked solely with large restaurant chains like Domino’s and was regarded as a service only available at the most prestigious eateries. According to Google’s internal data, a surprising hike was found in the search of food delivery apps during the novel covid-19 pandemics.
Well, pandemic or not, it appears that now is the perfect time for online food companies to enter and control the food market. While thinking about the most successful food delivery apps, the prime name that comes to mind is UberEats. Looking at last year’s revenue made by Uber Eats, we found that it was 4.8 billion USD. This food app has established a standard for aspiring businesses in this sector with its incredible features and business tactics.
However, developing an app like Uber Eats is not straightforward. It takes time and money to build an app, and you won’t be able to put all of the features into a single app. You’ll need one application for users, another for couriers, and an admin panel for eateries. Each has its own development challenges. But need not worry, because you are in the right place to get all the required information.
Business Model of a Food App
There are two models that are generally used for the food apps such as order only and order-delivery model. Let’s discuss both in detail:
Order Only Model: The Order Only platform provides its customers with a list of nearby eateries from which they may order meals. These sites do not offer any type of delivery service. The delivery is handled by the different restaurants. The system collects information on restaurants, and users may browse menus, look at restaurant rankings and reviews, and so on. This model assists restaurants in expanding their market, while clients just seek a decent spot to get meals.
Order-Delivery Model: The order and delivery model offers users restaurant lists as well as delivery services. The system provides comprehensive logistics assistance. The restaurants’ job is to prepare the orders and have them ready for delivery. The newcomers often lack the means for establishing their own delivery system and hence, they look for companies who offer such services. With the order-delivery model eateries no longer need to worry about delivery management such as employees, vehicles and costs.
Uber Eats operates on the order-delivery paradigm. It works as both a restaurant aggregator and a delivery service. Because of the comprehensive value given by this service model, numerous meal delivery applications, such as Uber Eats, have entered the market.
Following are the steps to consider while developing a food app like Uber Eats:
- Evaluate the latest food industry trends: Only by catering to the audience’s needs will you be able to create an exclusive app. So, before you begin developing an application, research the most recent trends in the online food business. Research how your rivals are working, what they offer, how they use social media for the business and whether their customers are satisfied or not and so on.It is crucial to know about the latest technology use in the business. Check if you can add a feature of using a smartwatch or messenger for placing orders. At present, Domino’s Pizza takes orders from Twitter accounts as well which attracts the users and makes them feel comfortable.
- Select a business model and prepare strategy: As we have already discussed two business models earlier. So, you have to select a model according to your requirements. Everything about your app’s operation, design, monetization, and promotion will change based on the model you adopt. It’s also critical to understand the target audience for your app.The target audience could vary from restricted to wide such as gluten-free vegans to burger lovers. While taking into consideration the users age, gender, income, nationality, interests you can prepare a plan to solve all the issues that may occur from the customer side.
- Choose your app’s features: Listed below are the features you need to consider while creating an app like Uber Eats:
Customer App Features
- Registration and login must be easy for the users
- The search field should be available to make the users easily access dishes, restaurant and food categories
- The order placement process should be clear and easy
- Adding or removing food items from the cart should be easy
- Various secure payment methods should be available
- Order tracking option
- Push notifications about food preparation and on the way and delivery
- Rating and review option
- Order History for easy reordering
- Social media account linking
Courier App Features
- Easy registration and profile management for the courier personnel
- Availability feature
- Order accepting or declining feature
- In-built navigation for easy delivery address tracking
- Order delivered history
- Earnings summary
Admin Panel Features
- Easy registration and profile management for restaurants as well so that they can easily add name, location, menu and more
- Content management feature for adding dishes, prices or removing something
- Order management for incoming orders and their statues
- Monetary tracking
- Offers and discounts feature
- Choose the right technology: It is critical to choose the proper technology for developing your app. The application should run smoothly and give a pleasant user experience. Some of the necessary technology for an Uber-like app include:
- User location finding: Google Places API
- Direction-finding: Google Maps
- For Registrations: Facebook SDK, Gmail SDK
- Programming languages: Kotlin(Android) and Swift(iOS)
- Synchronization: Socket.io
- Select the best food delivery app development company: As now you are aware of all the critical components of developing a food delivery app, you could be wondering how to get started. Once you’ve decided on an idea, the following step is to find the best app development company that can help you bring it to life. A dependable business with an agile staff, industry expertise and a distinct approach will complete the task in a timely and efficient manner. Your preferred company should have Android and iOS developers, project managers, mobile app testers, and so on.
In a nutshell, an on-demand food-delivery app like UberEats is undeniably a great business, and its rising market share reflects the growing interest in on-demand services. A food-delivery app is an excellent method to acquire new clients and expand the business. Consider all of the points we’ve raised tousedTwo models are be successful in your quest.